Boryslaw, now Borislav, Ukraine, is located 75 kilometers south-southwest of Lviv. Prior to World War II, 7,170 Jews resided there. During the Holocaust most perished.
In 1995, the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum (USHMM) undertook a major microfilming project at the Lviv Archives in Ukraine. Over 30,000 pages of material relating to what took place in the Lviv area were microfilmed, and these detailed records (RG 1995 A1086) present a grim view of the fate of tens of thousands of Jews who were murdered/deported in 1941 and 1942. There are many lists which exist in this collection, but the records that comprise this database are those of one group of persons, mostly Jews, who had not paid their water bills in Boryslaw (Reel 31). Of course, the reason that they had not paid their bills was that they had been deported/murdered, but this did not prevent the municipal authorities from presenting bills.
No information is available on the fate of these individuals, though their names may appear in other parts of this collection -- e.g., work details, rations, seizure of property, etc. However, there is no name-finding aid to this collection and to find individual names requires hours of searching through thousands of pages.
The following may help to explain how the ledgers were organized:
- Ledger Book #4 - 1942 (water bills) is numbered as sheet #1
- Ledger Book #5 - 1942 (water bills) is numbered as sheet #26
- Ledger Book #2 - 1942 (sewer bills) is numbered as sheet #47
- Ledger Book #2 - 1942 (water bills) is numbered as sheet #76
- Ledger Book #6 - 1942 (water bills) is numbered as sheet #84
- Ledger Book for year 1941 (water and sewer bills) is not numbered and placed between the sheets 122 and 123
- Ledger Book #1 - 1942 (water bills) is numbered as sheet #198
The fields included in this list are as follows:
- Page Number
- Remarks or Comments. The following is a translation of the German words which appear in this column:
- Vermisst --> Missing
Gestorben --> Died
Ausgefahren/Weggefahren --> Moved
Verhaftet --> Arrested
Unbekannt --> Unknown